Rev. Jeff Grant, JD, M Div
Rev. Jeff Grant, JD, M Div, is an Ordained minister with over three decades of experience in crisis management, business, law, reentry, recovery (clean & sober 16+ years), and executive & religious leadership. He provides confidential pastoral and spiritual care and support to individuals, families and organizations in the areas of personal crisis management, criminal justice/prisoner reentry, opioid and substance abuse, bipolar disorder/mental illness, and interfaith religion. He regularly uses his experience and background to guide people faithfully forward in their lives, relationships, careers and business opportunities, and to help them from making the kinds of decisions that previously resulted in loss and suffering.
As an ordained minister, conversations and communications between Jeff and those he serves fall under clergy privilege laws. This is one reason that attorneys often allow and encourage their clients to maintain relationships with Jeff while in active prosecution or litigation situations.
After an addiction to prescription opioids and serving almost fourteen months in a Federal prison for a white-collar crime he committed when he was a lawyer, Jeff started his own reentry – earning a Master of Divinity from Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York, with a focus in Christian Social Ethics. After graduating from divinity school, Jeff was called to serve at an inner city church in Bridgeport, CT as Associate Minister and Director of Prison Ministries. Jeff, and his wife and partner-in-ministry Lynn Springer, then co-founded Progressive Prison Ministries, Inc., the first ministry in the United States created to provide confidential support and pastoral care to individuals, families and organizations with white-collar and other nonviolent incarceration issues.
Jeff is also the Executive Director of Family ReEntry, Inc., a 100+ person criminal justice organization with offices and programs in eight Connecticut cities. Jeff is the first person in the United States formerly incarcerated for a white-collar crime to be appointed as Executive Director of a major criminal justice nonprofit. A former practicing attorney, he studied law at and earned a Juris Doctorate from New York Law School.
Jeff has served on a number of criminal justice related Boards including: the Mayor’s Advisory Council on Reentry Affairs, Bridgeport, CT (co-Chair); Family ReEntry, Bridgeport & New Haven, CT; Community Partners in Action (formerly the Connecticut Prison Association), Hartford, CT; , and Healing Communities Network, New York, NY. Jeff has also served on the Editorial Board of the book, The Justice Imperative: How Hyper-Incarceration has Hijacked the American Dream, Southport, CT, and on the Advisory Boards of Creative Projects Group, Los Angeles, CA (Kahlil Gibran’s “The Prophet”) and Reentry Survivors, Bridgeport, CT.
Among other recognitions, Jeff has been the recipient of the Elizabeth Bush Award for Volunteerism, the Bridgeport Reentry Collaborative Advocate of the Year Award ’13, ’14, ’15 & the Bridgeport Reentry Collaborative Professional of the Year ’16, ’17 & ’18. JustLeadershipUSA recognized Jeff as one of fifteen National Leaders in Criminal Justice. He has also been recognized by the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence as a First 100 Plus Leader. Jeff has twice been selected as a Nantucket Project Scholar and twice been selected as a Nantucket Project Keeper of the Commons.
Highlighted speaking venues include The Nantucket Project (Nantucket, MA), the Greenwich Leadership Forum (Greenwich, CT), the Corrections Ministries and Chaplains Association (CMCA) Correctional Ministry Summit (Wheaton College, IL & Philadelphia, PA), Salons at Stowe – Harriet Beecher Stowe Center (Hartford, CT), Community Health Network of Connecticut Social Determinants of Health Summit (Wallingford, CT), The Mason Street Project (Greenwich, CT), Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York (NY, NY), Yale Divinity School (New Haven, CT) and many houses of worship throughout the Northeast.
Jeff and Lynn have recently been the subject of a twelve-page article in Greenwich Magazine, March 2018 issue. Jeff has also been the subject of articles in national and regional media including Forbes.com, Inc.com, The Huffington Post, Absolute Return/HedgeFund Intelligence, Business Insider, New York Magazine, Real Men Real Faith Magazine (cover story), Greenwich Magazine, Fairfield County Business Journal, Nonprofit Quarterly, Reentry Central, The Vision (the newspaper of the United Methodist Church NY Conference), Weston Magazine Group, Weston Forum, Hartford Courant, New Haven Register, New Haven Independent, Inner City News, Connecticut Post, Greenwich Sentinel, Greenwich Time, Greenwich Free Press, The Hour and many radio shows, televisions segments and podcasts.
Jeff is also the editor of the important and widely-read blog, prisonist.org, at which he authors, edits and curates content around national and international criminal justice advocacy/ministry themes, and is co-host of Criminal Justice Insider radio airing first and third Fridays from New Haven, CT. He also leads a weekly online confidential support group (the first in the country) for persons who have been prosecuted for white-collar and nonviolent crimes (link).
Link to Contact Info & Appointments.
- Greenwich Magazine, “The Redemption of Jeff Grant,” Subject of Article, 2018, https://prisonist.org/the-redemption-of-jeff-grant-by-timothy-dumas-greenwich-magazine-march-2018/
- Inc.com, “Entrepreneurship as Precursor to Addiction: The Business Crisis of Opiates,” Subject of Article, 2017, https://prisonist.org/inc-com-entrepreneurship-as-precursor-to-addiction-the-business-crisis-of-opiates-by-tim-askew/
- Nonprofit Quarterly, “Connecticut Budget Stalemate Makes State’s Inequities Worse,” Subject of Article, 2017, https://prisonist.org/nonprofit-quarterly-connecticut-budget-stalemate-makes-states-bad-inequities-worse-by-jim-schaffer/
- Hartford Courant, “Connecticut Budget Impasse is a Public Safety Risk,” Op-Ed Author, 2017, https://prisonist.org/hartford-courant-connecticut-budget-impasse-is-a-public-safety-risk/
- Family ReEntry Blog, “Two Reflections on the Cheshire Tragedy,” Co-author, 2017, https://prisonist.org/family-reentry-insider-two-reflections-on-cheshire-tragedy/
- CT Post: “Jeff Grant, Greenwich White-Collar Criminal Shares his Journey Back to the Boardroom,” Subject of Article, 2017, https://prisonist.org/jeff-grant-greenwich-white-collar-criminal-shares-his-journey-back-to-the-board-room-by-emilie-munson-reporter-ct-post/
- Greenwich Sentinel, “Jeff Grant to Speak on His Fall and Redemption, Subject of Article, 2017, https://www.greenwichsentinel.com/2017/06/24/jeff-grant-to-speak-on-his-fall-and-his-redemption/
- Greenwich Free Press, “The Nantucket Project Presents Down & Out in Greenwich with Jeff Grant,” Subject of Article, 2017, https://greenwichfreepress.com/around-town/the-nantucket-project-presents-down-out-in-greenwich-with-jeff-grant-90017/
- Family ReEntry Blog, “Envisioning a First Chance Society,” Co-author, 2017, https://prisonist.org/envisioning-a-first-chance-society/
- Inner City News, “Reflections on Our State of Criminal Justice on Martin Luther King Day,” Author, 2017, https://prisonist.org/a-reflection-on-our-state-of-criminal-justice-on-martin-luther-king-jr-day/
- Fairfield County Business Journal. “Progressive Prison Ministries Head takes on Leadership of Family ReEntry,” Subject of Article, 2016, https://prisonist.org/fairfield-county-business-journal-progressive-prison-ministries-head-jeff-grant-takes-on-leadership-of-family-reentry-by-kevin-zimmerman-reporter/
- Men of Faith Magazine, “Interview with Rev. Jeff Grant,” Cover Story, 2016, https://prisonist.org/men-of-faith-magazine-cover-story-interview-with-rev-jeff-grant-mayjune-edition-by-hurley-morgan-senior-managing-editor/
- Weston Forum, “Former White Collar Criminal turns to Spirituality and Helping Others,” Subject of Article, 2016, https://prisonist.org/the-weston-forum-former-white-collar-criminal-turns-focus-to-spirituality-and-helping-others-by-gregory-menti-reporter/
- Inner City News, “Dear Governor Malloy and Connecticut Legislators,” Op-Ed, Author, https://prisonist.org/inner-city-news-op-ed-dear-governor-malloy-and-our-connecticut-state-legislators-by-rev-jeff-grant/
- The Hour, “Ministry Counsels People who Committed White Collar Crimes,” Subject of Article, 2016, https://prisonist.org/the-hour-ministry-counsels-people-who-committed-white-collar-crimes-by-jeff-eydt-hour-staff-writer/
- Business Insider, “This is What it’s Like When the 1% go to Jail, According to a Couple that Ministers to Their Families,” Subject of Article, 2016, http://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-grant-lynn-springer-ministry-helps-white-collar-criminals-2016-7
- Inc.com, “What Successful Entrepreneurs and Successful Criminals Have in Common,” Subject of Article, 2016, http://www.inc.com/tim-askew/white-collar-criminality-addiction-and-the-entrepreneur.html
- Greenwich Sentinel, “A Worldly Fall, A Spiritual Ascent,” Subject of Article, 2016,https://www.greenwichsentinel.com/2016/01/07/the-jeff-grant-story-a-worldly-fall-a-spiritual-ascent/
- Making Rain, “White-Collar Criminality, Addiction and the Entrepreneur,” Subject of Article, 2016, http://www.corporaterain.com/blog/white-collar-criminality-addiction-and-the-entrepreneur,
- The Vision, the Newspaper of the New York Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, “White-Collar Ministry: From Riches-to-Rags-to-Redemption,” Author, 2015, http://www.nyac.com/files/tables/content/3217050/fields/files/e2e8f21ad3f84b2d80abe72d723a6d0c/2015_12_thevision_high-res.pdf,
- Greenwich Time, “Group Offers Help to Innocent Families,” Subject of Article, 2015, http://www.greenwichtime.com/printpromotion/article/Group-offers-help-to-innocent-families-of-6205583.php,
- Forbes, “A New Class Of White-Collar Victims: The Family,” Subject of Article, 2014, http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo/2014/06/09/a-new-class-of-white-collar-victims-the-family,
- Westchester Country Capitalist, Hamptons Country Capitalist, Long Island Country Capitalist, Greenwich Country Capitalist, New Canaan Country Capitalist, Westport Country Capitalist, Litchfield Country Capitalist, Weston, Rye, Alpine NJ, Soho NYC, TriBeCa, Central Park West & The Upper East Side Magazines [14 titles], “Last Stop Babylon: The Art of Surviving Prison,” Author of Article, 2014, http://issuu.com/westonmagazinegroup/docs/greenwich_country_capitalist-52,
- Forbes, “Starting a Discussion on White Collar Crime and Recovery,” Subject of Article, 2013, http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo/2013/11/25/starting-a-discussion-on-white-collar-crime-and-recovery,
- New York Magazine Daily Intelligencer, “How To Survive In Prison As A Hedge-Fund Millionaire , Subject of Article, 2013, http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/how-to-survive-in-prison-as-a-hedge-funder.html
- Absolute Return/HedgeFund Intelligence, “Helping Hedge Funders Cope with Prison: A Q&A with the Director of Greenwich-based Progressive Prison Project, Subject of Article, Interview, 2013, http://www.hedgefundintelligence.com/Article/3208209/Helping-hedge-funders-cope-with-prison.html,
- About Wall Street, “Hedgefunders In The Hoosegow,” , Subject of Article, 2013, http://aroundwallstreet.com/2013/06/hedgefunders-in-the-hoosegow
- Fairfield County Business Journal, “A Man of Many Collars,” Subject of Article, 2013, http://westfaironline.com/55603/a-man-of-many-collars,
- The Nantucket Project, Greenwich, CT, “Forgiveness,” Talk, 2018, https://prisonist.org/heres-the-video-of-jeffs-talk-about-forgiveness-at-a-nantucket-project-conversation-in-greenwich-jan-12-2018/c
- “Jeff Grant Discusses Navigating Life with Bipolar Disorder with Filmmaker Alex Silver,” Litchfield County, CT, Interview, 2018, https://prisonist.org/jeff-grant-discusses-navigating-life-with-bipolar-disorder-with-filmmaker-alex-silver-may-26-2018/
- Stan Simpson Show, Fox 61, “Voice for reformed white collar criminals shares his story/advocacy for that constituency,” Hartford, CT, Interview, http://fox61.com/2018/06/09/the-stan-simpson-show-voice-for-reformed-white-collar-criminals-shares-his-story-advocacy-for-that-constituency/
- Both Sides of the Bars, MNN Cable 1, New York, NY, Interview, 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AT0b5AJfZE
- The Huffington Post, “The Spiritual Solution for Reentry After Prison, Interview, 2016 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-danielle-crumpton/the-spiritual-solution-fo_b_10345628.html
- Norfield Congregational Church, “Authentic,” Sermon, 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JL9wyHLs20&list=UU8IJGk7ittgHt9z8Y_ly5Dw
- Greenwich Leadership Forum, Interview, 2014, http://www.greenwichleadershipforum.org/sermon/jeff-grant-video/
- Harriet Beecher Stowe Center, Salons at Stowe, “Coming Home after Prison: A New Reality,” Interview, 2014, http://ct-n.com/ctnplayer.asp?odID=10488
- The Nantucket Project, Nantucket, MA, “The Art of Surviving Prison, Main Stage Presentation, 2013, https://www.nantucketproject.com/ARCHIVED/the-art-of-surviving-prison
Recent Radio Appearances & Podcasts
- Biz Talk 350 Station Radio Network, Interview, 2018, https://prisonist.org/jeff-will-be-interviewed-by-jim-campbell-on-the-350-station-biz-talk-radio-network-and-on-wgch-1490-am-greenwich/
- Criminal Justice Insider with Babz Rawls Ivy & Jeff Grant, WNHH 103.5 FM New Haven, CT, 2018, Co-host, Sample Broadcast: Guest Bridgeport Mayor Joseph Ganim: https://soundcloud.com/new-haven-independent/criminal-justice-insider-joe-ganim
- Prison Professors Podcast, 2018, https://prisonist.org/we-were-interviewed-by-michael-santos-on-the-prison-professors-podcast/
- Where We Live, WNPR 90.5 FM Public Radio, Hartford, CT, Interview, 2017, http://wnpr.org/post/sokeo-ros-refugees-journey-through-life-strife-and-art
- Business Game Changers Podcast, Interview, 2017, https://prisonist.org/we-were-interviewed-on-business-game-changers-with-sarah-westall-airdate-feb-20-2017/
- Jim Lemler Faith Program, WGCH 1490 AM, Greenwich, CT, 2017, https://prisonist.org/we-were-interviewed-by-rev-jim-lemler-on-wgch-1490-am-greenwich-ct-airdate-tues-jan-31-2017/
- LoveBabz LoveTalk, WNHH 103.5 FM, Radio Interview, 2017, New Haven, CT, https://soundcloud.com/new-haven-independent/lovebabz-lovetalk-jeff-grant-6316
- Real Life Real Faith Podcast, Interview, 2016, http://www.blogtalkradio.com/realliferealfaith/2016/05/11/real-life-real-faith-welcomes-rhonda-bolden-and-reverend-jeff-grant
- The Lisa Wexler Show, WGCH 1490 AM, Greenwich, CT, Radio Interview, 2016, https://soundcloud.com/jeff-grant-jd-m-div/lisawexlershowwgch021716,
- LoveTalk, WNHH 103.5 FM New Haven, CT, Radio Interview, 2016, https://soundcloud.com/new-haven-independent/lovebabz-lovetalk-jeff-grant,