Huge thanks to Rich Roll for including my visit to his podcast (Ep. 440) in his MasterClass on Addiction & Recovery. What a gift and blessing to be among these incredible interviewees to share our stories and offer hope to others suffering from the disease of addiction. – Jeff
Watch on YouTube:
From Rich Roll:
Thanksgiving is a time of celebration. But for many, it’s opening day on a season that proves extremely difficult for millions of people who struggle with addiction.
A recovering alcoholic myself, I’ve danced with that darkness. Tasted the desperation. And felt the loneliness.
Time and again I failed at arresting a disease hell-bent on killing me.
Until that is, I let go of everything I thought I knew about how to live, think and be—and let others help me.
The solution required an education.
Given the ubiquity of addiction, it’s an education I feel a responsibility to share.
Towards that end, today’s podcast episode—the third installment in our burgeoning, deep-dive Masterclass series—explores the nature of addiction, the misconceptions that perpetuate it, and the many solutions available for confronting and ultimately overcoming it.
My hope is that this anthology brings you greater understanding, empathy, and perhaps a modicum of peace—and for those currently suffering, tools and encouragement to finally arrest the beast and embrace help.
Finally, if you are currently suffering, please don’t do it in silence. There is a solution. You don’t ever have to drink or use again. It all begins with a decision. Raise your hand. Ask for help. Freedom awaits. If I could do it, I promise you can too.
Guests featured in this episode include: Anna Lembke, MD, Dan Peres, Jessica Lahey, David Choe, Dr. Jud Brewer, Amy Dresner, Rev. Jeff Grant, Gabor Mate, MD, Charlie Engle, and Mishka Shubaly.
Happy (turkey-free) Thanksgiving.
The third in an ongoing series of curated deep dives, today’s show is a masterclass on addiction & recovery, featuring personal stories of sobriety from past guests & wisdom from lauded mental health experts.
Guests featured in this episode (all hyperlinked to their respective episodes) include:
- RRP 623: Anna Lembke, MD On The Neuroscience Of Addiction
- RRP 505: Dan Peres: From Opioid Slave To Sober Salvation
- RRP 593: Jessica Lahey On The Addiction Inoculation
- RRP 626: David Choe On Beauty & Brokenness
- RRP 471: Dr. Judd Brewer On Treating Addiction With Mindfulness
- RRP 341: Amy Dresner On Getting Dirty & Staying Clean
- RRP 440: Jeff Grant: From Addiction & Incarceration To Prison Ministry
- RRP 188: Dr. Gabor Maté On Why Addiction Is Not A Choice
- RRP 248: Charlie Engle: From Crack Addict To Running The Sahara
- RRP 326: The Misadventures Of A Professional Struggler: Mishka Shubaly Just Wants To Be Better